Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Blog #4

Research papers have never been my favorite type of paper to write. They have always intimidated me by meeting a certain amount of requirements, and sources, and ideas. I always have felt pressured to include exactly what the teacher was looking for rather than being able to freely write. One experience that comes directly to mind is the dreaded "Senior Research Paper". In my high school, that was the worst thing imaginable. Before working on the project, I was extremely anxious and nervous because of the opinions I had always heard about her grading and the requirements she has for the paper. When the time came and we started on the paper, it was not as bad as I predicted it to be. Although a little more anxiety was present than the normal papers written, I was more overwhelmed because of what others were saying rather than the paper itself.
To answer the other question of the prompt, some research I do in my everyday life would have to be shopping. Although that may sound a little ridiculous, I am constantly checking bebe.com for the new clothes coming out, or the prices of everything, trying to find the best deal. When I find something I love, I look at the price and try to find the relatively the same object from my favorite stores and that helps me find the cheapest price on the article of clothing. I guess in a way you could say that was researching. I even have many different shopping apps on my phone! Too bad this type of researching causes a problem instead of helping one!

I commented on Linden and Kates posts

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you with being pressured to write just what your teacher wants you to write. By being told what to write it creates anxiety for me and limits my thought process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know where you are coming from, every time I write a research paper I feel like I am writing it for the teacher and not for myself. Even though I choose the topic most of the time the requirements and expectations that pile up eventually just turns your creation into another boring essay that seems identical to everybody else's.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shopping is a really interesting way to do research. I mostly sit on Facebook and find out what everyone else is up to. And I'm also really afraid of research papers; they are intimidating.

    ReplyDelete