Friday, February 3, 2012

Blog #5

1. It's okay to say things that the instructor might disagree with

I agree with this statement. A good professor will not care that you disagree with their opinions as long as you have factual reasoning backing up why you feel the way you do. Some students believe that if they agree with the professor they will receive a better grade, and in the past with some teachers, I felt the need to do that as well. Unfortunately some teachers have tunnel vision and only want to focus on what they believe in but a good professor will over look the different opinions and concentrate on the story as a whole and whether or not you have factual information along to back up the paper and an argument that states why you believe the way you do.

2. The paper won't be revised substantially

I disagree with this statement because ALL papers should be revised. Without revision it is easy to overlook little details like misspellings, commas, periods. It can also be very easy to overlook bigger issues like sentences that don't fit or contradictions in the paper. Your grade can be improved a whole letter grade just by looking over the paper for mistakes and problems. No papers should be taken from your mind, written down on paper, and turned in for a grade. That is just setting yourself up for a disappointment and a plethora of mistakes. There should be at least two to three revisions of every paper until you are satisfied with the results and ready to turn in the assignment to be graded.

I commented on Glynnis and Liz

3 comments:

  1. I also disagree with statement number two. As much as one would hope, you can't always get it right the first time. Even some of the best-selling authors have multiple drafts. If I never reread my paper and browsed for corrections, I would never have passed a writing class.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with the first statement but I do feel that I still do try to put the teacher's opinion in the back side of my mind when I write papers because I have had bad English teachers and that mentality has always just stuck in my head.

    ReplyDelete